Potato Gnocchi in Sage Brown Butter
2 medium russet potatoes
1 Egg replacement
1 tbsp plant milk
1/8 tsp sea salt
1/8 tsp grated nutmeg
1 1/4 c organic all-purpose unbleached flour
Sage brown butter
6 tbsp vegan butter
1/4 tsp dry sage or 6 fresh sage leaves
1 tsp fresh squeezed lemon juice
2. Now place potatoes, egg replacer, plant milk, salt, nutmeg and mix with hands. (I use gloves). Then start adding the flour slowly. You want the dough to be moist, but not too sticky or dry.
3. Flour a large surface. I work on a large cutting board. Place you dough on your surface and separate into 4 balls. Roll out like snake. Make them 1 foot long by 1/2 inch wide. Cut into 1/2 inch pieces. If you like, use a fork to make indentation on gnocchi. Make sure to flour the fork. I put them on a cookie sheet covered with parchment paper.
4. Now start a large pot of boiling water. Place a portion of gnocchi in water. They should never touch. Gnocchi will drop to bottom. When cooked, they will float to top. Immediately, remove them.(Usually 4 minutes) Sprinkle with a little extra-virgin olive oil so they will not stick together.
Sage butter recipe:
1. In a medium pan place sage and butter. Cook on medium till brown. Then stir in lemon juice.
2. Place gnocchi in pan and toss. I sprinkled gnocchi with extra sage for garnish. If you can use fresh sage, it would be even better.
If you like, sprinkle with a little salt and pepper.
Serves 3: you can always double the recipe
This recipe was adapted from: Vegan Cooking for Carnivores by Roberto Martin
This is the best gnocchi recipe I have tried.